Brescia province increases the efficiency of agricultural/veterinary inspection activities thanks to a tablet-based solution supporting digital signatures
In the Italian province of Brescia, livestock farming plays a key role in the agricultural sector, particularly cattle raising. The solution created represents a pilot project to be used as a benchmark for the various agricultural inspection activities that the Lombardy Region delegates to the Provinces.
The solution, currently still in the pilot stage, was created with the goal of simplifying the tasks of provincial employees who, together with health inspectors, perform yearly spot checks on artificial insemination operations directly at agricultural companies.
Even with the limited size of the pilot project, a first analysis of the operational needs of inspectors revealed significant points of complexity:
- To eliminate paper management of forms, which is costly, slow, and error-prone, it was necessary to implement electronic management of inspection reports, collecting signatures that have full legal validity on the part of all those involved.
- A system had to be created that would be able to immediately manage 200 yearly spot checks, and subsequently all of the more than 1000 regional checks.
- The system had to offer the ability to manage inspections and consult the data collected in a centralized way by the relevant offices, in order to reduce the time it takes to coordinate inspections.
Given the slow and burdensome nature of the current paper-based management of checks, Brescia province decided to collaborate with Next to create a project that could automate inspections performed in the field, optimizing completion of the complex forms that have to be generated in several original copies.
After analyzing different development systems, the final choice was Instant Developer, which was judged as the best IDE to respond to the complex needs of the project: an architecture with a web-based portion, development of mobile applications that would also work in offline mode, easy integration with external components such as digital signatures, and all within very short project deadlines. Once it determined that everything was feasible, Next immediately started collaborating with the customer to create the project.
In just a few months, Next developed a system that addressed all the critical aspects of the project. In particular, the new solution includes:
- Complete elimination of all paper documentation for new inspections.
- A web desktop application, dedicated to managing the process and consulting the data collected.
- A mobile application for Android tablets, to be used “in the field” for completing and signing inspection reports, with the ability to work with the application even in the absence of Internet access.
Although the pilot project has not yet been fully expanded to all provincial inspectors, the goal is clearly within reach, as the solution has already resulted in a drastic improvement in control and visibility of inspections performed. In addition, the customer expects within the year to reduce overall inspection processing times by 50%, optimizing field interview times as well as inspection scheduling and reporting times.
Instant Developer allowed us to create a solution with a complex architecture, quickly and cost-effectively, meeting the customer's expectations and budget, demonstrating the feasibility and low costs for the kind of project that Brescia province and the Lombardy Region require.
Project Manager, NEXT